Hey friends. I know we’ve been missing a lot these few weeks. June has been a weird month for us.
1. We lost our grandfather this month. He was easily one of the most carefree people I’ll ever know. It’s funny how I’ve been remembering the tiniest details about him ever since. Sometimes I just find it so hard to believe that he’s gone. We weren’t super close or anything but he was still a prominent figure while I was growing up.
He drove us to and from school for a few years and my, were those days quite the adventure. His driving was reckless and his cussing quite sailor-like but he would tell us, your grandfather has been driving for over 40 years, so trust me. I don’t think I ever once felt unsafe in his car, haha. Sometimes he would forget to close the trunk and it would slam shut when he hit a pothole and I would worry that our bags had flown out onto the road. Then I would think, haha wouldn’t it be great to go to school and tell the teacher that I can’t hand in my homework because my bag flew out the trunk?
Every day in my first and second grade, he would wait outside my class to help me carry my bag down the stairs (no idea why my bag was so heavy) and my friends would be jealous of me. Oh, then more than once he went to confront the kids who bullied me in school. Once, after school, there were these two boys who pushed me. I fell and scraped my knee on the road. It bled. I probably cried. When I reached my grandpa’s car, he was shocked to find my knee bleeding and demanded to know who had pushed me. He went to confront the two boys and gave them a scolding then he took me to wash my knee. Yeah, I felt pretty badass after that. Like, y’all I have a bodyguard.
Then there were the days when we used to go over to his house every single weekend. Thinking back, it was fun. We would just sit around while the adults chatted but it was still fun. Then recently in the last few years, he would go to the mall every.single.day. either by himself or with a bunch of good friends. And they would just walk around or find a place to sit and chat for a couple of hours. And he was there so often that the staff began to treat him like their best friend.
So we would often run into him at the mall and we’d chat for a bit. Haha, yeah, the mall is kind of like our second home. A couple of times while I was out with friends, I bumped into him and I would call out to him. I would tell my friends later on, my grandpa hangs out around here a lot and he’s friends with the staff all while feeling some kind of swell of pride lol. I guess maybe that’s the kid in me. Well, those are just some of the good memories I have of my grandfather.
Now when we drive past the places he used to hang out at really often, I still have to stop myself and think, oh, he’s gone. And then I don’t know whether to feel sad or not. It’s such a weird feeling. While I want to feel sad because he’s no longer a drive or phone call away, I’m also glad he’s not in pain anymore. Haha while I’m writing this I’m sobbing and trying not to let my sister see me crying.
Okay I’m a big sobbing mess and I seem to have forgotten what else I meant to say…
I guess I meant to say, I wish all of you could have known my grandfather. He was pretty awesome all the way.
2. My phone died. If you’re wondering, it’s a Nexus 5. Before this I rarely ever updated my phone or the apps. Well, at least until the app expired and forced me to update it. Other than that, I’m usually always wary of updates that supposedly ‘fix bugs’ but sometimes cause even more problems. But somehow this time when I saw a system update, I thought, what the heck I’ll just update it. Yup, wrong move. It was fine after the system update… for 5-6 hours then while I was playing Fruit Ninja, the screen went blank and it hasn’t been able to revive since then. You may now say EFFFFFFFFFFF!
I would send it in for repair but yeah, I have my reasons not to at the moment. We’ll see if I somehow manage to get it to revive again. I’m sad for the data in my phone. All my lovely useful apps and photos that I didn’t manage to upload recently D: Oh well. Moral of the story: DON’T UPDATE YO PHONES. Also, don’t get a Nexus 5 unless you have the patience/strength/ability to pry the fricking back lid off. I broke a nail trying to pry it open so yeah. The design is so stupid omg.
P.S: This also means that my Instagram account is pretty much frozen for now since I don’t have a phone.
3. Oh yeah. Work. Work sucks. I have posts about work coming. Stay tuned.
4. I’ve been having lunch with a high school friend these few weeks since her university is near my work place. It’s been pretty fun. The number of uni friends I managed to make in Vancouver came to a grand total of zero (lol amazing right) so my social life was pretty much nil. And no wonder I began to feel depressed. So it’s been nice to have lunch with friends. We talked quite a bit over chicken rice, pasta and more pasta.
5. I also somehow managed to strike up a conversation with another high school classmate and after talking to him, remembered how nice he was to me in school and how nice it is to just have a conversation with a friend. Dunno about you but having guy friends after elementary school isn’t exactly easy here because if your ‘friends’ happen to see you chatting with the same guy for an ‘unusually long time’ or multiple times, they’re likely to accuse both of you of liking each other. ??? Okay. It took me a while to catch on to this but when I figured it out, I thought it was stupid. Like, why would you accuse someone of ‘dating’ just because two people happen to have similar interests and talk on more than one occasion? How is it dating???
But anyway, yeah, this guy friend is the okay sort. Our conversation wasn’t awkward or anything which was actually really nice. Here’s the thing though. Me, being lovely awkward me, was scrolling through the Fb emoticon list and accidentally clicked on the cat emoticon with the pink heart twirling above its head. O-M-G, MORTIFYING. Yes, so me. A part of me wondered if he would freak out even after I apologized and explained that it was an honest mistake. But he just laughed it off and sent me a huge smiley. Haha, yeah. ==
6. Anime wise, we’re slow on catching up with the shows that we’ve been watching because most of the time I’m tired after work and by the time we feel like watching, it’s late and I have to sleep because I have to get up early for work. Meh. But we finished Kamigami no Asobi (ah-mazing) and Kingdom (doubly amazing) and we’re thoroughly enjoying Haikyuu!! Lots of summer anime coming next month. We gotta gear up for that and watch them all even if we have to wake up at 5am to watch them. Okay, maybe not that extreme… 😛
7. Movie wise (yeah, English), How to Train Your Dragon 2 was good. I enjoyed it. I don’t think Skye enjoyed it as much. I cried in most of the scenes with Hiccup’s mom and (spoiler alert) pretty much couldn’t handle it when they killed his father off. WHY would they do that? Gah, so frustrating. Still, it was better than expected and better than Frozen (don’t hate).
Nonstop was also good. Liam Neeson, y’all. He’s so great. I just adore his movies. I mean, his movies give new meaning to the thriller genre. A+! Bravo!
I can’t remember if we watched X-Men this month or the last but it oddly enough it wasn’t that bad. I have watched two other X-Men movies before but remember them only vaguely so I went into the cinema not knowing what to expect. If you have never watched a single X-Men movie in your life, definitely go into Days of Future Past without worrying that you won’t know what’s going on. It’s easy enough to understand and I give it a solid 7/10.
Right, we watched Spiderman 2 last month. What a bore. Jeez.
8. In other small random pieces of news, I’ve been drawing quite a bit this month and been quite happy with my drawings (when I’m not erasing the drawing 50 times because I can’t get the mouth right). As for learning Japanese, it has stalled again. Because of work. But I don’t want work to be an excuse because I really want to get going with our Japanese progress so I gotta put more effort into making time to learn new words and stuff. I have also been painting my nails and using my tools, yay. With my phone kaput, pictures are lacking though.
I have quite a few other things to say but somehow I don’t feel like they fit into this post. I deeply apologize for being missing on your blogs. I gotta take things one step at a time and prioritize. :/
Well, that’s it for now. Hope you have a lovely weekend.